Until 1934, Limb Brook in Dore marked the dividing line between Yorkshire and Derbyshire, with the village on the Derbyshire side. Today, Dore is in South Yorkshire, but holds onto elements of its Derbyshire character, like well dressing.
The written history of Dore can be traced back to the year 829 and an entry in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle - 'And Ecgbert led an army to Dore against the Northumbrians and they offered him obedience and concord and thereupon they separated'. The importance of Dore was its position on the boundary of the Anglo Saxon kingdoms of Mercia and Northumbria, the second most powerful kingdom.
The unification didn't last long, and Dore returned to a rural backwater. The Duke of Devonshire, from Chatsworth, acquired the Manor of Dore in the 1780s, but it was the coming of the railroads in the late 1800's which saw Dore become the village that it is today. Very quickly owners and managers of Sheffield factories realised they could live in comfort outside the smoke of the city, travelling in by rail from the newly built Dore and Totley station. A new 'Dore Road' was built by the Duke of Devonshire connecting his village to the station for the first Victorian commuters.
Open all the time
Open all day, every day
Dore Road, Dore, SHEFFIELD, South Yorkshire, S17 3JY
Map reference: SK 384711 Lat: 53.23554 Long: -1.42613
Accessible by Public Transport : 5 miles (8.0 kms) from Sheffield station
|Mon 1 - Fri 5 Jul 2013||Dore Well Dressing under Construction|
|Sat 6 - Sun 14 Jul 2013||Dore Well Dressing|